|Under the supervision of the Health Education Specialist, the Health Education Assistant is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of education and training programs of the Harris County Public Health (HCPH) Mosquito & Vector Control (MVC) Division.
- Establishes collaborative relationships with schools, community organizations and other public/private entities for the promotion of Mosquito & Vector Control education programs and workshops.
- Assists in developing and modifying programs for the education of mosquito and vector-borne disease and control.
- Facilitates and co-facilitates education and training sessions as required.
- Represents the Mosquito & Vector Control division as a public speaker and/or panel member at civic associations, schools, public/private groups and other entities.
- Assists the Health Education Specialist with in-house training of Mosquito & Vector Control personnel, exclusive of safety training.
- Maintains Mosquito & Vector Control's Mobile Training Unit (Skeeter School Bus) through regular walk-throughs and ensuring a safe learning environment for participants.
- Regularly prepares materials for education, training and workshops.
- Maintains records and submits monthly, quarterly and annual reports on activities related the responsibilities of the Health Education Assistant position.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including special tasks involved in responding to an emergency event.
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Entomology, Biology, or other science related fields from an accredited college/university.
- Five (5) years of verifiable full-time paid experience conducting educational/informational presentations at schools or public/private functions.
- Intermediate proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software.
- Intermediate data entry and internet research skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop PowerPoint presentations suitable for use in public health presentations and professional meetings.
- Ability to interact with public or private representatives with skills necessary to resolve mosquito related problems.
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision.
- A valid driver's license (Texas upon hire).
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation; but ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration.
- Intermediate proficiency in the use of Microsoft Publisher, PowerPoint and Excel.
|HOURS: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. / Monday - Friday
SALARY: Will Be Discussed During Departmental Interview
Based on 26 Pay Periods
Additional Information - Core Competencies:
- Understands the organizational mission.
- Understands ethics and public good; is concerned with public trust.
- Demonstrates respect for the opinions and beliefs of others.
- Demonstrates a sense of responsibility for the success of the group.
- Collaborates with others to improve quality and address needs.
Interpersonal Abilities/Personal Characteristics
- Ability to adapt to change.
- Uses sound judgment.
- Organizes and maintains work environment to allow for maximum productivity.
- Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Written and verbal English competency.
- Able to read and follow directions.