Senior Bus Driver
Under general supervision, transports students to and from school in a safe and efficient manner. Serves as a liaison between campus and motor pool. Trains new hires to become proficient bus drivers for HISD. May provide post-accident retraining to existing drivers as well as remedial training. Also serves as a full-time substitute that is capable of driving any bus on any route.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
List most important duties first:
- Provides behind the wheel instruction training and technical support for new and existing school bus operators required to obtain a class “B” CDL and proper endorsements through Texas Department of Public Safety. Transports students to and from school and extracurricular activities.
- Serves as a team leader and liaison for transportation department between campuses, drivers and motor pool.
- Provides additional monitoring of bus arrival and departure times. Reads maps and corrects routes.
- Teaches new hires to obtain Commercial Driver License, along with specialized school bus and passenger endorsements. Provides post-accident retraining to existing drivers as well as remedial training as needed.
- Assists in training drivers. Checks driver's route books to make sure that the route sheets and turns are accurate.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED
WORK EXPERIENCE: 3 to 5 years
TYPE OF SKILL AND/OR REQUIRED LICENSING/CERTIFICATION: HTML, Microsoft Office, Office Equipment (Computer, Copier) Operation of 2-way radios, cell phones, e-mail, all types of school buses (regular and special education) and special needs equipment. Class B CDL.
LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES: No supervisory or direct people management responsibilities. May provide occasional work guidance, technical advice and training to staff.
WORK COMPLEXITY/INDEPENDENT JUDGMENT: Work and tasks are often straightforward, routine, structured and guided by established policies and procedures. Little, if any, independent judgment is required, outside of making basic choices in the selection and application of established methods. The job receives frequent, ongoing supervision.
BUDGET AUTHORITY: No budget development activity is required.
PROBLEM SOLVING: Decisions are made on routine matters affecting few individuals and usually within the confines of the job's own department. Specific job activities and results are typically reviewed closely. There are limited requirements for developing new ideas or changes in methods, procedures or services.
IMPACT OF DECISIONS: Follows rules and procedures. Decisions can have minimal or no impact to HISD. Errors can be readily detected, usually by the employee, and, if made, would result in minor expense for correction.
COMMUNICATION/INTERACTIONS: Basic communication - very little communication required such as receiving basic instructions. Interactions are mostly with customers, own supervisor and co-workers in own department.
CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIPS: Takes routine or required customer actions to meet customer needs. Responds promptly and accurately to customer complaints, inquiries and requests for information and coordinates appropriate follow-up. May handle escalated issues passed on from coworkers or subordinates.
WORKING/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Work involves some exposure to moderate risk of accident and requires following basic safety precautions. Ability to carry and/or lift up to 15 to 44 pounds.
- URL: https://jobs.houstonisd.org/job/Houston-Senior-Bus-Driver-TX-77001/338766400/?feedId=183600&utm_source=Indeed&utm_campaign=HISD_Indeed
- Starts On: Jan. 26, 2017, 11:30 a.m.