The Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Budget Analyst based at the VA Health Services Research and Development Center for Innovations in Quality, Effectiveness and Safety (IQuEST).
Incumbent is responsible for a complex budgetary system within Research Service which is comprised of 40 diverse research programs. The current budget for research is in excess of five million dollars.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Formulation of budget and financial management. Formulates and revises the annual budget estimate for the research program. Researches, compiles, and summarizes data concerning personnel salaries, and expenses and similar object class and line item information needed for formulation of budget estimates. Selects and enters budgetary information on a wide variety of related forms, schedules, and reports.
- Performs the more complex technical aspects of journal budgetary formulation and execution which requires the perception on immediate and long-range requirements.
- Assembles historical data on costs and cost trends.
- Implements for local application the published budget instructions; this tasks involves the preparation of the Annual Budget Plan and the Research and Development Information System report for submission to Central Office.
- Disseminates diversified information into an effective usable document which accurately reflects the very complicated and large research budget.
- Disseminates the budget.
- Prepares work sheets and presents budget information being constantly required by the Administrative Officer.
- Correlates budgetary information submitted by the more than ninety Principal Investigators.
- Compiles the budget estimate report.
- Receipts the target allowance.
- Prepares the Primary Fund Allocation and its breakdown for Fiscal Service.
- Prepares individual allocation sheets for investigators.
- Maintains a system of controls of the expenditures.
- Transfer funds among the various accounts.
- Monitors and tracks obligations and expenditures for the research budget throughout the execution phase of the annual operating budget. Verifies the obligations and expenditures occur on a timely basis in accordance with the annual work plan and regulatory controls, and are within amounts programmed. Reports variations in excess of accepted funding limitations to the Administrative Officer.
- Recommends transfer of funds between programs, cost centers, subaccounts, etc. under the same appropriations or allotment when funds are needed to cover increases in obligations or expenditures fall within established limits.
- Checks the accuracy and adequacy of budget justification data submitted in support of budget estimates or requests for allotments by comparison with source documents (e.g., employment statistics, project reports, payroll records, and supply requests.
- Prepares data summaries for inclusion in routine and special reports on budget execution.
- Tabulates cost data on individual projects and applies basic statistical formulas to budgetary data to illustrate the effects of changes in levels of funding for current projects.
A summary of all activities of our center are available on our website:
- Detailed knowledge of VA Research and Fiscal Budget procedures, forms, formats, documents, reports, and related requirements to compile and organize the annual budget plan.
- Detailed knowledge of the structures of appropriation accounts, object classes, and line items of Research’s program and administrative budget.
- Knowledge of the VA’s and Research’s mission, functions, program, and administrative activities.
- Background in Accounting and related Accounting Software.
- Prior Military Service/Veterans (preferred)
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills in both written and spoken English.
- Must have ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center is Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Equal Access Employers.
- Persons with Disabilities are encourage to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $56,646.00 to $73,643.00 /year
- Budgeting: 1 year
- Accounting: 1 year
- Finance: 1 year
- URL: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Department-of-Veterans-Affairs/jobs/Budget-Analyst-cdb5dc7f04fe1093?q=budget+analyst
- Starts On: Jan. 26, 2017, 11:30 a.m.