Reports to: Director of Academics
Qualifications: *Bachelor’s degree *Texas (or other state) teacher certification preferred, but not required *2+ years’ experience in classroom preferred *College degree earned in content area to be taught, preferred but not required
Founded in 2002, Yellowstone Academy’s mission is to be the premier school in Houston’s inner-city. This year, we are serving nearly 350 students in preK-3 through 8th grade, and another 77 alumni. Yellowstone’s model is unique: we are a faith-based private school, serving students from communities where there is no access to strong educational opportunities. With an average class size of 16 to 18 children, our students experience a rich academic and co-curricular model, while receiving free bus transportation, two free meals a day, and access to a comprehensive student support program. We operate on a Third Ward campus built in 1927 that is less than half a mile from downtown Houston.
Teachers will be supported by a school leadership model that includes an Executive Director, Director of Academics, and Dean of Students. We are building an incredible team of educators—and we invite you to join us. We provide a competitive salary/benefit package, there is no state testing requirements, and through our faith-based approach, you will have the opportunity to build lasting relationships with our students and families.
The Yellowstone Academy teacher is the most important role on the Yellowstone campus. Through the teacher’s leadership, students will learn in a classroom environment that is academically rigorous, emotionally supportive, community-minded, and inspires excellence. Teachers must be knowledgeable in their content area, have a passion for working with students, and be ready to work hard on behalf of the Academy’s mission and our families. The teacher’s core responsibilities include the following:
Student Academic Performance
- Set ambitious targets for annual student achievement and track student progress towards these goals.
- Develop appropriate assessments to measure student understanding, and, as needed, create lessons and assessments for reteaching concepts and objectives.
- Meet regularly with grade level teams and vertical planning teams to share best practices, develop intervention strategies, and collaborate on lesson plans and instruction.
- Manage a gradebook and a cycle of grading/assessments that provides an accurate reflection of student performance throughout the school year.
- Instruct students individually and in groups, adapting teaching methods to meet students' varying needs and learning styles.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects following guidelines established by the Texas Education Agency.
- Assist in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials that align with the scope and sequence for each subject/grade level.
- Plan and conduct lessons with a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to learn, observe, question, and investigate.
- Use technology to strengthen the teaching/learning process.
- As needed, plan and supervise assignments for instructional aides and classroom volunteers.
Student Growth and Development
- Observe and evaluate each student's academic performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- Prepare and implement remedial programs for students requiring extra help.
- In addition to planning classroom lessons, organize and lead grade-level appropriate activities and field trips designed to promote academic, physical, mental, and social/emotional development.
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their student's progress, and to determine the priorities for their student’s growth and success.
Classroom Management and Organization
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of all students.
- Manage student behavior in accordance with the Yellowstone Student Code of Conduct.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and campus facilities.
- Maintain a classroom that is orderly, organized, and promotes student learning.
Professional Growth and Development
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Keep informed of and comply with state and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers.
- Attend and actively participate in faculty meetings, and serve on staff committees as needed.
- Participate in an instructional culture that values feedback, seeks out growth opportunities, fosters innovation, and always puts student achievement first.
- Perform other duties as required and assigned.
Skills and Experience
Every employee at Yellowstone is committed to:
Smile First: be a positive presence on campus and extend a good-natured grace and enthusiasm in all personal interactions
Expect More: hold everyone (families, students, colleagues) to a high standard of excellence and never settle for anything less than a person’s best effort
Be Strategic and Innovative : anticipate and overcome challenges, be willing to ask the question “why?”, and constantly look for ways to enhance the Yellowstone experience
Lead by Example: demonstrate integrity in all circumstances, “walk the talk” to motivate others to excellence, and follow through on promises and commitments
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Yellowstone Academy offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, a SIMPLE IRA program with employer matching, supplemental life and short-term disability insurance, and paid sick leave.
To apply for this position, please complete an online application which can be accessed through the “employment” tab on the Yellowstone website at www.yellowstoneacademy.org. Yellowstone will notify candidates if they are selected for the next round of the application process. This process will include participating in a comprehensive interview process and teaching a sample lesson on campus.
Yellowstone Academy is a non-denominational Christian school and all employees must be professing Christians. Yellowstone Academy does not refuse to hire and does not release any individual, or otherwise discriminate against any individual with respect to compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment because of the individual’s race, color, sex, or national or ethnic origin. Nor does Yellowstone Academy limit, segregate, or classify its employees or applicants for employment opportunities or otherwise adversely affect the status as an employee because of the individual’s race, color, sex, and/or national/ethnic origin.
Job Type: Full-time
- Classroom Teaching: 2 years
Required license or certification:
- Teaching Certificate
- URL: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Yellowstone-Academy/jobs/Teacher-3efa95eac4ddaf33?sjdu=QwrRXKrqZ3CNX5W-O9jEvaE5fcSdy2PnkfMTVoc7L6M1FU8ApsuvpYEkBtPLvySPZFk6mycMhoyf9MaVQjTjJw
- Starts On: Feb. 23, 2017, 10:28 a.m.